Tennis great Boris Becker tearfully recounted the moment the door of his single-occupancy cell at Britain’s notorious Wandsworth prison closed for the first time, speaking publicly after serving eight months for bankruptcy offenses.
The controversial interview – which reportedly comes with $AUD789,600 fee – was Becker’s first attempt at salvaging a reputation left in tatters by his conviction.
READ MORE: Tigers great urges million-dollar star to avoid the club
READ MORE: World Cup hero’s ‘no class’ act during parade
READ MORE: Socceroos boss handed incredible global honour
“It was the loneliest moment I’ve ever had in life,” Becker said in an interview with German broadcaster SAT.1 that aired Tuesday, recalling how hours earlier he had been unable to say farewell to his loved ones before being led downstairs to the courtroom jail.
The three-time Wimbledon champion was sentenced to 30 months in prison in April for illicitly transferring large amounts of money and hiding assets after he was declared bankrupt. Becker would normally have had to serve half of his sentence before being eligible for release, but was released early under a fast-track deportation program for foreign nationals.
Becker, who was deported to his native Germany on Dec. 15, said he prayed daily in the three weeks between his conviction and sentencing, conscious that there was a chance he might not get away with a suspended sentence.
Arriving in Wandsworth, the 55-year-old Becker said he feared attacks by other inmates.
“I had two big worries, a shared cell – I was f–ing scared – and also showering.
“The films didn’t help me when you see the soap falling on the ground.”
However, he said each prisoner had their own shower cubicle, adding: “You didn’t see anyone naked.”
Becker said prison authorities appeared to have tried to ensure his safety, allocating him a single cell and getting three experienced inmates — or “listeners” — to guide him in his new life behind bars.
That included coping with the lack of food, Becker said, as prison fare was largely restricted to rice, potatoes and sauce. “Sunday roasts” consisted of a chicken drumstick, he said.
“I felt hunger for the first time in my life,” said Becker, who won the first of many millions of dollars as a player at the age of 17.
Violence was a problem, he said, recounting instances at Wandsworth and later at HMP Huntercombe where inmates threatened to harm him until others stepped in.
The three-time Wimbledon champion said that a prisoner in Wandsworth Prison called John had said that “if I didn’t do this or that he would kill me. He had tried it with others”.
He also said that after being transferred to another prison, there was a second “prisoner who wanted to kill me”.
Known for his showmanship on the court, Becker said he immersed himself in stoic philosophy while in prison and embraced the opportunity to teach fellow prisoners math and English — despite being German.
“It’s extremely full, extremely dirty, extremely dangerous, murderers, sex offers, drug deals, you meet all types,” he said.
“You go out of your cell and you have to look after your own skin because the guards don’t do it for you.”
But he says he found camaraderie with fellow prisoners and will keep in touch with the friends he made inside.
In November, fellow inmates managed to organise three chocolate cakes for his birthday, Becker said.
“I’ve never experienced such solidarity in the free world,” Becker said, adding that he planned to stay in touch with friends he’d made in prison.
“Prison is a different world,” he added. “You are all the same. It sounds strange, you are so dependent on each other.
“I will keep contact with some of the prisoners. We needed each other. We really supported each other.”
For Becker, who rose to stardom in 1985 at age 17 when he became the first unseeded player to win the men’s singles title at Wimbledon, the prison sentence was a heavy blow.
Asked about the judge’s statement that Becker had shown “no humility,” he acknowledged in the interview that “maybe I should have (been) even more clear, more emotional” during the trial.
Becker also admitted fault.
“Of course I was guilty,” he said of the four out of 29 counts he was convicted on.
Still, Becker said he “it could have been much worse.”
After retiring from professional tennis in 1999, the six-time Grand Slam champion worked as a coach, television pundit, investor and celebrity poker player.
Now he hopes to turn a new page and avoid the mistakes he made in the past — many of which he blamed on laziness and bad financial advice received from others that led to his 2017 bankruptcy.
“It’s up to me to keep going down that path and stay true to myself,” he said. “I believe prison was good for me.”
Becker said he and partner Lilian De Carvalho Monteiro likely won’t stay in Germany, where privacy is hard to maintain. Instead, he suggested Miami or Dubai might become his next home.
But the former world No. 1’s time outside the limelight probably won’t last long.
Organisers of the annual Berlinale said Tuesday that next year’s film festival will feature the premiere of an as-yet untitled documentary about Becker by Oscar-winning director Alex Gibney, with a red carpet appearance by the protagonist likely.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!
The sporting figures we’ve lost in 2022