Have you been thinking about dipping your toe into game development, but don’t know where to start? Or maybe you’re just a big Fortnite fan and want to create some cool custom experiences for the game? If I’ve just described you, then you’re in luck, because Epic has just announced Unreal Editor for Fortnite – a new PC app that gives you access to many of the same tools as Unreal Engine 5 developers.
This is essentially an expansion of Fortnite Creative mode, which allowed players to create their own unique test islands. The Unreal tools should give players the ability to create a wider range of experiences, including possibly full standalone games, and publish them directly within Fortnite. Of course, that means you won’t be able to sell your masterpiece, but you’ll also have instant access to millions of Fortnite fans around the world.
Here are some of the features included in the Unreal Editor for Fortnite…
“Unreal Editor for Fortnite is a PC-only editor that enables 3D viewport workstyles with the creation tools (Devices) found in Fortnite Creative. This means unlike in Fortnite Creative where you build and edit your islands by controlling a character inside the game, creators instead have access to a range of tools and workflows from the PC-based Unreal Editor, with many similarities to those used by Epic Games to develop Fortnite Battle Royale.”
- Create custom content with Modeling and Material tools.
- Import meshes, textures, animations, and audio.
- Use Niagara to create VFX effects.
- Animate with Control Rig and Sequencer.
- Design gameplay with Verse.
- Build Landscapes to create and flesh out the environment.
- Create larger experiences with World Partition.
- Use Fab to discover and import assets.
- Use Live Edit to collaborate in real-time with others.
- Integrated Revision Control to collaborate with Unreal Revision Control
Sounds pretty versatile! Thus far, Fortnite Creative hasn’t really changed to world, but with these new tools, it will be interesting to see what’s created. Will the next great multiplayer concept be born within Fortnite? We’ll have to wait and see.
Unreal Editor for Fortnite launches on March 22. The editor will only be available for PC, but your creations will be playable on console. What do you think? Got some ideas you want to bring into the world?